Alabama State Capitol
Alabama State Capital
In 1846, following Cahawba and Tuscaloosa, Montgomery became Alabama's capital city. The first capitol building, a handsome Greek Revival structure designed by Philadelphia architect Stephen Button, was built in 1847. In 1849, the building burned. Between 1850-51, the present capitol building, also in the Greek Revival style, was constructed on the same site. A rear wing was added in 1885, and the two side wings between 1906 and 1912. A rear extension with a neoclassical portico similar to the original west front portico was completed in 1992.
The Alabama State Capitol was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1962.
Not only is the Alabama State Capitol a revered symbol to thousands of Alabamians but a significant monument in American history.
A major effort to rehabilitate the Capitol began in the 1970s. While most of this work was finished in 1992, efforts to restore and enhance the historical character of the building are ongoing by the Alabama Historical Commission.
Lean how to speak to the dead with our new program called
Pictures and information were provided by Alabama State Capitol
Copyright A View of America 1998 all rights reserved any and all content on this site is protected by law.