Ringling Estate Grounds
Ringling Grounds Estate
When the Ringling's first arrived, the plantings on the estate were typical of the area -- native palms, oaks, and pines. Mable Ringling added a collection of exotic plants including sausage, breadfruit, and monkey-puzzle trees. According to local legend, the Banyan trees were a gift from Thomas Edison, who had a home in Fort Meyers, Florida and visited the Ringling's in Sarasota. The Royal Palms were imported from Cuba. Other exotic plants came from the nursery the Ringling's maintained on Longboat Key.
Mable's Rose Garden was completed in 1913, just one year after the Ringling's purchased the property. The design was patterned after a wagon wheel motif. With hundreds of rose plants, the Garden today consists of roses introduced between 1867 (the first hybrid tea) and as recently as 2002, with the debut of the "Mable Rose".
Along with the beautiful plant life of the Ringling Grounds are numerous statues for visitors to enjoy. The majority of these are replicas of Greek and Roman sculptures, including a bronze cast of Michelangelo's "David".
Lean how to speak to the dead with our new program called
Florida Home Page |
Florida Aquarium |
Florida Beaches |
Florida Bed and Breakfast Inns |
Florida Cemeteries |
Florida Charters |
Florida Cities |
Florida City Parks |
Florida Forts and Battlefields
Copyright A View of America 1998 all rights reserved any and all content on this site is protected by law.