Begun around 1770 as the official residence of Dr. Andrew Turnbull, founder of the New Smyrna Colony of Minorcans, Greeks and Italians. This Palace was to have been a large coquina building. It was never completed due to the disintegration of the colony in 1777.
The massive foundation had been placed in the heart of a prehistory Indian mound, a commanding position which was noted as the AIS Indian village of Caparaca on the Mexia map of 1603 utilized by Ambrose Hull for his Coquina home in 1805-destroyed by radical patriots in 1812. The same site was chosen for the home of Thomas Stamps 1830, Burned by Indians 1835. The Home-Hotel of John Sheldon followed in 1854. Burned by Yankees in 1883, Rebuilt after the Civil War.
Florida Home Page |
Florida Aquarium |
Florida Beaches |
Florida Bed and Breakfast Inns |
Florida Cemeteries |
Florida Charters |
Florida Cities |
Florida City Parks |
Florida Forts and Battlefields
Copyright A View of America 1998 all rights reserved any and all content on this site is protected by law. Any use with out written permission is strictly prohibited.