Madison Square was laid out in 1837 and named for James Madison, fourth President of the United States. In the centre of the square is a 1888 statue by Alexander Doyle memorializing Sgt. William Jasper, a soldier in the Siege of Savannah who, though mortally wounded, heroically recovered his company's banner. Savannahians sometimes refer to this as Jasper Square, in honor of Jasper's statue. Madison Square features vintage cannon from the Savannah Armory. These now mark the starting points of the first highways in Georgia, the Ogeechee Road leading to Darien and the Augusta Road to Augusta. The square also includes a monument marking the center of the British resistance during the Siege. Madison Square is located on Bull, between Harris and Charlton Streets.
Pictures and information were provided by Savannah Visitors Center
Georgia Home Page |
Georgia Aquarium |
Georgia Beaches |
Georgia Cemeteries |
Georgia Cities |
Georgia City Parks |
Georgia Forts and Battlefields |
Georgia Gardens |
Georgia Historical Buildings
Copyright A View of America 1998 all rights reserved any and all content on this site is protected by law. Any use with out written permission is strictly prohibited.