The most visible reminder of early Native American inhabitants is the Ogaukawning Church. Established in 1847, the Indian Mission Church was built by Methodist missionaries to serve the Chippewa Indians at the Kawkawlin settlement in Northern Bay County. The church and its grounds were the social and religious center of the Kawkawlin Chippewa community until the late 1940s. Today the Mission Church is under the trusteeship of the remaining members of the off-reservation Chippewas. It is currently being restored to maintain the integrity of the Chippewa’s place in the history of this community and is available for roadside viewing only.
Pictures and images were provided by Bay City, Michigan Visitors Bureau
Michigan Home Page |
Michigan Cemeteries |
Michigan City Parks |
Michigan Entertainment |
Michigan Historical Boats
Copyright A View of America 1998 all rights reserved any and all content on this site is protected by law. Any use with out written permission is strictly prohibited.