The Dorsey Mansion at Chico Springs, is just off the Santa Fe Trail in Colfax County. It is a magnificent log and masonry Victorian mansion built by Senator Stephen W. Dorsey.
Construction on the rambling 2-story log house began in 1878, with completion in 1880. In about 1884, Senator Dorsey began to remodel his home, adding the stone castle structure that included faces of his wife Helen Dorsey, his brother John and himself carved in stone on the castle tower. Among a few of the amenities of this magnificent house, is an art gallery, billiard room, library, 9 bedrooms, a 60 guest dining room, servant quarters and the first indoor bathroom. But, not to be outdone, the grounds boast an 1800's swimming pool, with 3 islands and a gazebo!
In 1901 the mansion property was sold at public auction. Over the next 60+ years there was a succession of owners. In 1966, the house and 40 acres were sold to K. E. Deaton. Mr. Deaton set out to renovate the mansion and save it from ruin, but after his death, it was sold in 1973 to the State of New Mexico/Museum of New Mexico.
It was placed on the New Mexico State Register of cultural Properties in 1971 and a year later, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, through the hard work of the Deaton family. The Dorsey Mansion was declared a New Mexico State Monument by a proclamation of the Governor in 1976. The Museum of New Mexico began restoration, but found it too expensive, and on December 4, 1987, the Dorsey Mansion State Monument was sold to Dr. Roger W. Akers and Sandra Henning, who have been lovingly restoring the old mansion to its former grandeur.
Pictures of and information were provided by Dorsey Mansion
New Mexico Home Page |
New Mexico Aquariums |
New Mexico Bed and Breakfast Inns |
New Mexico Cemeteries |
New Mexico Cities |
New Mexico Community Events
Copyright A View of America 1998 all rights reserved any and all content on this site is protected by law. Any use with out written permission is strictly prohibited.