Traveling Across
New York

Montauk Point Lighthouse

Home >> New York Home Page >> New York Lighthouses

Did You Know
Jokes
Puzzles
Recipes
Tributes

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
DC
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Montauk Point Lighthouse Museum
2000 Montauk Highway
Montauk, New York 11954
Voice: 631-668-2544

Welcome to the Montauk Point Lighthouse, the oldest lighthouse in New York State. The Lighthouse was authorized by the Second Congress, under President George Washington in 1792. Construction began on June 7, 1796 and was completed on November 5, 1796. This 100 foot tower has been part of Long Island's land and seascape for over 200 years and still serves as an active aid to navigation.

On display in the keepers parlor are Montauk Point Lighthouse drawings and photographs from 1791 to 1939.

The Head Keepers bedroom was used from 1860 to 1947. Today it is used to display four models of the Montauk Point Lighthouse and its terrain. They depict the structural changes that occurred between 1796 and 1943. They also show the devastating effects of erosion on the bluff known as Turtle Hill. This room has been dedicated in honor of Giorgina Reid. Mrs. Reid initiated the "Erosion Control" program at the Lighthouse in 1970. Driving from Jackson Heights, N.Y. each week for more than twenty years, Giorgina and Donald Reid successfully fought off erosion with her patented method of reed-trench terracing.

The central hallway was first built in 1860 and later enlarged. It connects the Keepers Dwelling to the oil room and tower. On display is a one-of-a-kind museum exhibit, "Lighthouses Surrounding Long Island". The model, 15' long and 4' wide, depicts 28 light stations from Manhattan to Point Judith, Rhode Island.

Once used to store cisterns of oil and supplies for the lighthouse, this is the location of the only entrance and exit to the tower. On display is the original 3 1/2 Order Fresnel Bivalve Lens. The lens was placed into service in 1903 and removed on February 3, 1987.

A spiral staircase climbs 86' to the watch deck where visitors may view the new light in the lantern room.



Pictures and information were provided by Montauk Historical Society

New York Home Page | New York Aquariums | New York Cemeteries | New York Gardens | New York Historical Boats | New York Historical Buildings
New York Historical People and Events | New York Lighthouses | New York Museums | New York Theme Parks | New York Wineries | New Mexico Zoos

About Us | Contact Us | Did You Know Facts | Jokes | Puzzles | Recipes | Suggest a Site | Tributes

Copyright A View of America 1998 all rights reserved any and all content on this site is protected by law. Any use without written permission is strictly prohibited.