Cakes & Frosting Recipes
Cool Treat Recipes
Side Dish Recipes
cornmeal for dusting
12 ounces whole-wheat pizza dough or other prepared dough
1 link Italian turkey sausage (4 ounces), casing removed
3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup slivered onion (1 medium)
1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper (1/2 large)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3/4 cup diced tomato (1 medium)
2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet on the lowest oven rack preheat oven to 500 degrees F. or highest
setting. Coat 1 12 1/2 inch pizza pan with cooking spray and dust with cornmeal
- prepare whole-wheat pizza dough, if using
- Cook sausage in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, turning from time to time, until browned and cooked
through, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Meanwhile, prepare peperonata: Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and
bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red peppers; cook, stirring,
for 1 minute. Add tomato and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in vinegar, salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 13 inch circle. Transfer to the prepared pan. Turn edges under
to make a slight rim. Brush the rim with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil.
- Sprinkle mozzarella over the crust, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Top with the peperonata and sausage. Sprinkle
- Place the pizza pan on the heated pizza stone (or baking sheet) and bake the pizza until the bottom is crisp and
golden, 10 to 14 minutes. Serve immediately.