Cakes & Frosting Recipes
Cool Treat Recipes
Side Dish Recipes
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 2 medium onions, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 medium onions, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 cup short or medium grain brown rice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 /2 cup dry white wine
2 cans 14 1/2 ounce reduced sodium chicken broth or 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
8 ounces asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (2 cups)
1 cup sugar snap peas or snow peas, trimmed, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup diced red bell pepper (1 medium)
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese (3 1/2 ounces)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest, preferable organic
freshly ground pepper to taste
Ingredient Note: Use short or medium grain brown rice to achieve the characteristic creamy risotto texture.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or ovenproof deep sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally,
until softened 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in rice and garlic; cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in wine and simmer until
it has mostly evaporated. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and transfer to oven.
- Bake until the rice is just tender, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Shortly before the risotto is done, steam asparagus, peas and bell pepper until crisp tender, about 4 minutes.
- Fold the steamed vegetables, Parmesan, parsley, chives, lemon zest and pepper into the risotto. Serve immediately
Makes 6 servings, about 1 cup each