Traveling Across
Rhode Island

Fayerweather's House

Home >> Rhode Island Home Page >> Rhode Island Historical Buildings

Did You Know
Jokes
Puzzles
Recipes
Tributes

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
DC
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Fayerweather's House
1859 Mooresfield Road
Kingston, Rhode Island 02881
Voice: 401-789-9072

Fayerweather house was built in 1820 and is one of several historic buildings in the picturesque village of Kingston. It is now the home of the Fayerweather Craft Guild which is dedicated to preserving old crafts and promoting new ones. The Guild also sponsors various programs and events throughout the season

The story of the Fayerweather Family begins with George, a slave of the Reverend Samuel Fayerweather, minister of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Wickford. Around 1770 George gained his freedom and adopted, as was customary, his former master's surname. One of his descendants, also named George Fayerweather, married a Native American woman and became a blacksmith in the village of Kingston, then called Little Rest (today a part of the Town of South Kingstown). In 1820 he built Fayerweather House as a home for his family, which eventually included 12 children.

The house is a two-story wooden building constructed around a massive stone chimney. The three rooms on the first floor are open to the public. Each of them has a fireplace and corner beams. The Keeping Room is dominated by the huge granite fireplace with a Dutch oven. The floor is covered with 18-inch-wide floor boards. There is also an exhibit with an old blacksmith's bill and some historical photographs. On another wall hangs the Bicentennial Quilt, stitched in 1976 by the founding members of the Fayerweather Craft Guild. Its 30 panels show local landmarks. All three rooms are now used by the Craft Guild to exhibit crafts and offer them for sale.

Fayerweather House is surrounded by almost an acre of park-like grounds featuring majestic trees, old-fashioned shrubbery, and garden plantings typical of the period. The garden with its beautiful vistas is sometimes used as a setting for wedding pictures. It is maintained by the Kingston Hill Gardeners. Next to the house is the well (not functional any more). About another 10 yards to the east stood the blacksmith shop, of which only some foundation stones and the base of the forge remain today.



Pictures and information were provided by Fayerweather's House

Rhode Island Home Page | Rhode Island Bed and Breakfast Inns | Rhode Island Cities | Rhode Island Forts and Battlefields | Rhode Island Historical Boats
Rhode Island Historical Buildings | Rhode Island Lighthouses | Rhode Island Museums | Rhode Island Theme Parks | Rhode Island Zoos

About Us | Contact Us | Did You Know Facts | Jokes | Puzzles | Recipes | Suggest a Site | Tributes

Copyright A View of America 1998 all rights reserved any and all content on this site is protected by law. Any use without written permission is strictly prohibited.