Fort Moultrie is the site of the first American victory over the British Navy on June 28, 1776. At that time it was just a palmetto log fort on the shores of Charleston Harbor. The exhibits at Fort Moultrie display 171 years (1776-1947) of the history of American seacoast defenses.
Fort Moultrie has defended Charleston Harbor twice. The first in the Revolutionary War when they defeated the British. With 30 smoothbore cannon in the original fort they drove off a British Fleet that was mounting 200 guns.
The second time was during the Civil War. For nearly two years, Federal forces bombarded the Charleston forts from land and sea, and though the masonry walls of Forts Sumter and Moultrie crumbled under the shelling, both forts were able to hold back the Union attacks.
The technology of weaponry advanced rapidly after the Civil War. New types of cannons were developed and were replacing the old ones. By World War II there were new challenges facing the nation's seacoast defenses. Submarines and airplanes joined battleships as threats to the country's security. Anti-aircraft guns were added to the fort's armament and mines were laid in Charleston Harbor. In 1944, a new Harbor Entrance Control Post was built, from which all the city's harbor defenses were coordinated.
Fort Moultrie was a fun place to visit. They had things on the Civil War era, World War I era, and the World War II era. There was a tower. There was a bunch of underground stuff too. The fort went through a lot of changes. Fort Moultrie was even used in the Revolutionary War. From a distance you could see Fort Sumter and you could also see the lighthouse.
South Carolina Home Page |
South Carolina Aquariums |
South Carolina Beaches |
South Carolina Cemeteries |
South Carolina Cities |
South Carolina City Parks
Copyright A View of America 1998 all rights reserved any and all content on this site is protected by law. Any use without written permission is strictly prohibited.