The town of Ashland began developing in 1836 when the RF&P Railroad Company purchased the tract of land in central Hanover county along their new tracks. A 'slash cottage' was built in the late 1840's where they held balls and picnics. A horse racing track was built soon after. The town was formally incorporated in 1857 and named for the home of Henry Clay who was born in the area in the 1700's and was a political figure in the state. A commuter train transported people between Richmond and Ashland. In 1868 Randolph Macon College relocated to Ashland. In the 1900's the town became a commuting suburb of Richmond as it is today. Amtrak still stops several times a day at the station that was built in 1922.
Virginia Home Page |
Virginia Aquariums |
Virginia Beaches |
Virginia Bed and Breakfast Inns |
Virginia Cemeteries |
Copyright A View of America 1998 all rights reserved any and all content on this site is protected by law. Any use without written permission is strictly prohibited.