The town of Staunton was named for Lady Rebecca Staunton Gooch, wife of Virginia Governor Gooch, in 1747. It wasn't until 1801 that Staunton was incorporated as a town with its own court. The town played a pivotal role during the Civil War when the Shenandoah Valley served as the "Breadbasket of the Confederacy." The railroad provided a link between the valley and eastern Virginia. Troops were trained and mobilized from here. Arsenals and warehouses were also established in Staunton to aid in the war effort.
Today, the Historic Staunton Foundation works to preserve the historic downtown area. There is an abundance of historic buildings making this town a must for history buffs.
Virginia Home Page |
Virginia Aquariums |
Virginia Beaches |
Virginia Bed and Breakfast Inns |
Virginia Cemeteries |
Copyright A View of America 1998 all rights reserved any and all content on this site is protected by law. Any use without written permission is strictly prohibited.