Magnolia Grange was built in 1822 by William Winfree in a Federal style. The mansion has distinctive architecture with elaborate ceiling medallions and beautiful carvings on mantels, doorways, and window frames. Today the museum has restored the house to resemble how it appeared from the 1820's to the 1880's. There have been three families that owned the house. After the Winfrees, it was owned by the DuVals and then the Cogbills. There are three bedrooms upstairs and they have been recreated with a room representing the time of ownership from each family. There have been no additions to mar the house and except for the porches, the exterior retains all its original detailing.
Along the downstairs of Magnolia Grange there is a nice mural. One part of it is dogs chasing a deer in shallow water with lots of people staring at them. There was also a pretty violin there too. In the children's room there was a small tea set.
Virginia Home Page |
Virginia Aquariums |
Virginia Beaches |
Virginia Bed and Breakfast Inns |
Virginia Cemeteries |
Copyright A View of America 1998 all rights reserved any and all content on this site is protected by law. Any use without written permission is strictly prohibited.