In 1884 John and Adella Russell Came to this basin and settled 160 acres. They cleared the trees and built a log cabin. On the ranch they raised timothy had, horses and cattle. Life was a challenge for these early pioneers. There were no roads into the wilderness until 1907. Everything they needed was packed in on horseback. John trapped for fisher, martin and mink. Adella made butter, which was sold in Naches. Indians pitched tents in summer and fished for salmon in the Tieton River running through the homestead. The Russell's raise seven children here. In 1917 the land was sold to the bureau of Reclamation to later become Rimrock Reservoir. At the end of summer when water is low, you can still see the outline of some of the buildings and stumps from trees cut down at the Russell Ranch.
Washington Home Page |
Washington Aquariums |
Washington Beaches |
Washington Bed and Breakfasts Inns |
Washington Campgrounds |
Washington Cemeteries |
Copyright A View of America 1998 all rights reserved any and all content on this site is protected by law. Any use with out written permission is strictly prohibited.