Point Wilson Light
Point Wilson Lighthouse
Point Wilson marks the west entrance into the Puget Sound. It is the turning point from the Strait of Juan de Fuca into Admiralty Inlet.
Originally the turn was marked by a church bell. The point was often engulfed in fog and the bell was to be rung to guide the ships.
A lighthouse was finally built at Point Wilson, two miles northwest of Port Townsend. It was first lit on December 15, 1879. The light could be seen for 13 miles.
High tides and stormy weather threatened the tower until it had to be rebuilt at its current location in 1914. The old structure minus its tower was retained for the keepers house.
The lighthouse is open to visitors from May to September.
Washington Home Page |
Washington Aquariums |
Washington Beaches |
Washington Bed and Breakfasts Inns |
Washington Campgrounds |
Washington Cemeteries |
Copyright A View of America 1998 all rights reserved any and all content on this site is protected by law. Any use with out written permission is strictly prohibited.